Monday 14 January 2013

Gruner Vetliner 2011 Marlborough NZ. Is there a Doctor in the House?


The first Gruner Vetliner I had the pleasure to try was at ARIA Brisbane, only 5 months ago.

The Sommelier, as to be expected, was factual, entertaining and nudged the diner into new frontiers.  This I greatly appreciated. So really this is my first sampling, after appreciably a wonderful experience which will be written about soon.

You'll be wondering what was in the grocer bag? More like esky. The Queensland heat beat down its Summer challenge to all who wondered outdoors. This was a day for a deck with a breeze and nicely chilled wine.

Freshly shucked Coffin Bay oysters awaited and I was very keen to see how this Austrian grape had traveled across the continents.

On the nose, small package of fruit though lifted layers of pepper and a hint of dryness gave it a lovely bouquet. Enticing. It reminded me of the first time I experienced an Argentinian Torrontés. Not a comparator on the nose, more the experience and the unknown, a strangeness, as I had not encountered this combination of scent before. A real dislocation of the sense.

The palate was a fuller flavour than the Austrian style, the crushed flower and a light splice of acidity with a tropical tone. I liked the expression of this wine, though it was a little aggressive in it's style to that of the more subtle Austrian matriarch.

How did it go with the oysters- very well indeed.

Keep it a little frosty- Keep tipl'n
Norriega

Alcohol: 11.5%
forrest.co.nz/

No comments:

Post a Comment