Saturday 13 July 2013

2011 Best's Great Western Bin No.1 Shiraz

2011 Best's Great Western Bin No.1 Shiraz
Jimmy Watson Trophy Winner 2012
Deep magenta stains the glass. This has the kind of aroma profile that you would be satisfied just smelling all night. Sensationally savoury and insanely spicey. Loads of white pepper, vanilla bean, fennel, cardamon and even a pinch of turmeric.
Blood plums and violets. Taught tannins; ever so delicately astringent mid-palate. Slight dustiness.
Day 2- Smoother and so very well balanced. Smokey bacon and pancetta. All the spicey and savoury notes still dominate the senses. I just love cool climate Shiraz with all the fruit delectably positioned in the background. It's there, just not confronting. These are multi-dimensional wines that are interesting and contemplative.
I was hesitant to commit to my opinion on this wine in the short term. Was I just caught up in the Jimmy hype or could this wine be as good as it seems? So my third bottle over a few months has assured me that YES it really is that good and will get better with time.

Tasted 13th & 14th April 2013
14% Alc Vol
www.bestswines.com


No comments:

Post a Comment